Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Speedo 24/04/07 - 1/05/07

Hello everyone! We hope you are enjoying the beautiful Spring weather - it is warm and sunny! Read below for some new idioms about SPRING! Hopefully you have plans for rest and relaxation during the holiday week - enjoy and we'll see you in May!


--------------------------

THANK YOU to everyone who came to Jamie's lecture on American slang - it was a HIT (a hit means it was popular)! Students learned lots of slang phrases that are used in everyday English, especially in song lyrics (words) and movie dialogues (talking). A quick sample of what the students learned:


NOUNS -

Crib – your house
Bling – shiny jewelery with lots of glitter and sparkles
Dawg – a friend
Hood – neighborhood, the area where you live

Hoopty - an old car
Mula – money

VERBS -
To bounce – to leave
To boogie – to dance
To check out – to look at, to watch
To hook up – to give something to someone
To chill - to relax


ADJECTIVES - These words ALL mean excellent, impressive, trendy, very nice:

Tight
Wicked

Sweet
Hot
* also means stolen
Sick
Dope
Fly
Ill
Phat

GREETINGS:
Yo
What’s up --- wasssup --- sup
How’s it going?
How ya doing?
What’s the word?
What’s kicking?

SAMPLE SLANG IN USE....

Terri: YO Lee, how was your weekend?

Lee: WASSUP! My weekend was DOPE! I went to a FLY BASH with my DAWGS! What did you do?

Terri: My weekend was SWEET. I didn’t have any MULA so I stayed at my CRIB because I wanted to CHILL.

Lee: That sounds PHAT!
-----------------

Upcoming Events:
TONIGHT - Lee and Dean's BEER AND FILM night

Watch a film and taste beers from all over the world! The students pick the movie and Lee will pick the beers :) Come and enjoy a good film with your teachers and students.

WHEN: Tuesday, April 24th @ 7:30

WHERE: @ SPEED CALLAN
------------------------
SPRING IDIOMS!

Idiom #1 - to SPRING TO LIFE - to suddenly become active.

Dean: I was trying to start my car, when suddenly it sprang to life without warning!

(The paradigm of spring is: spring, sprang, sprung)

Idiom #2 - To SPRING TO MIND - to appear suddenly or immediately in your thoughts.

Jamie: I was trying to think of a good song to sing at Karaoke, when suddenly Tina Turner SPRUNG TO MIND!
------------------------
Joke of the Week!

Student: Would you punish me for some thing i didn't do?
Teacher: no, of course not.
Student: good, because i didn't do my homework.
----------------------

A LOOK AT CHUCK!


(A cyclops is a monster with only ONE eye!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home